Sunday, August 20, 2017

Top Banana



Get ready for this...

Top Banana is a vertically scrolling platformer not too dissimilar to Magic Boy or Rainbow Islands. Ignoring the stupid eco storyline, this has an unusual mix of weirdness but begins with a tripped-out acid-style intro that reminds me of Grotesque and Aciid Burn (Whattaheck). Well, a little, and it's in stereo so worth watching.

The gameplay is simple, we start at the bottom of the screen and leap upwards using the platforms whilst avoiding the rising water levels. Along the way are the unusual nasties and our weapon appears to be "love" itself. We deliver a fatal kiss of death to anything that gets in our way. So take no prisoners and enjoy killing loving everything!!

Considering this is a game full of eco-preservation, it contradicts itself by killing animals. Anyhow, you win when you reach the top and then the screen falls and you can collect lots of doughnuts and other items before starting the next stage. Nothing new or mind-blowing but I actually quite enjoyed this incredibly cr4p platformer!

Before we go any further, let's take a peep at the first screenshot (which is taken from the ST version)


Top Banana played on the Atari ST (the oldest model without a Blitter Chip)

Aesthetics

That's right, this is one of the few games taking advantage of the Atari STe, so kudos to Hex for going that extra mile. However, what do you think about these screenshots? The ST version is rather lacking with an empty feel whereas the STe is the complete opposite with a crazy display of mess scrolling along your monitor using parallax-scrolling. My eyes are bleeding, my head hurts... I think I'm going to die if I play for much longer!!

Top Banana is incredibly unique. Never have I seen a game with such a weird abstract style. I admit, at first, I hated it because it was cluttered so I would struggle to see the dangers ahead in time. After a few games, I eventually overcame that eye-burst feeling and was used to it. Well, I must applaud the artists for daring to be different.

Interestingly, Top Banana supports the Atari STe which features madenning graphical design! But it supports parallax scrolling and also comes bundled with DMA sound effects. These effects certainly beat the chirpy YM effects into dust but, (like the visuals) are possibly way OTT. Check out this Atari STe screenshot...


Top Banana on the Atari STe. Eye-bursting visuals albeit with parallel scrolling.


The CryptO'pinion?

Top Banana is unusual alright. It offers an enjoyable challenge and I've nothing but respect for Hex for supporting both Atari computers. However, it looks, sounds and plays drab on the ST whereas it's way OTT on the STe. In fact, Atari STe owners should take out health insurance because your ears might burst with the incredibly annoying samples and the bloated parallax-scrolling display will give you a headache or a brain tumour.

I do wonder what Hex was thinking when they made this weird little game. Having said that, it is also pretty good and obviously inspired by Rainbow Islands. Sadly, it's one that I fear everyone might ignore which is a shame. Okay, I wouldn't bother if you're an ST guy but I'm tempted to sadistically recommend it for all STe owners!!

The D-Bug boys have a hard drive version and Stonish has two floppy disk options you need to try:
 1)  Fuzion #151 (a one-disk download without the intro)
 2)  Pure Energy #6A and #6B (with the silly intro but it comes on two disks)

No comments:

Post a Comment