Saturday, August 20, 2016

Knight Lore



Uh, a Falcon game???

AtariCrypt is all about the Atari ST/e computers but I shall make an exception for its big brother: the 32-Bit Atari Falcon. This is because I was recently contacted by Janez Valant (Swe, of YesCREW) and he mentioned a Falcon release of Knight Lore that might be cool for those who don't know about it. I was one of them. How did I not know about this game?

I'm a big fan of Ultimate's famous isometric Spectrum game from 1984. I can even remember it being released and we were blown away by the next-gen visuals and also how each puzzle was presented as a 3D room. Okay, I had seen similar in 3D Ant Attack but definitely nothing at this new level. To be honest, it was one of those mind-blowing moments in history.

The Falcon version appears to be the complete game, featuring spot-on perfect gameplay too. In fact, it's probably better because there is no slowdown that the Speccy version suffered. However, gone is the lovely monochrome palette for something that is now very colourful. Ahem, perhaps too colourful for my liking? It feels unnecessary.

There was a part of me that didn't believe Janez yet here it is running on my virtual Falcon (Hatari) and it's brilliant. However, I must admit that I'm saddened it doesn't run on the ST/e. Ignoring the tacky colours, I don't see why the ST cannot handle it. Perhaps somebody out there knows the answer but if it's because of the many colours - I'll be very angry lol.

Anyhow, playing this iconic game on the Atari Falcon is fantastic. All I need now is a real Falcon...

 Download Knight Lore and relive 1984 ZX Spectrum style!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment